The vision of Northrise University School of Law is to, through its incorporating of the biblical teachings in the delivery of the legal education, have a cadre of Lawyers and other legally trained professionals who are outstanding and are keen to serve their local, national, and global communities with excellence, integrity, and professionalism.
- Train students with a broad understanding of the operation of the Zambian legal system.
- Equip students with the law relevant in respect of resolution of disputes both out of court and through a court process.
- Equip students with the relevant knowledge and skill required of a lawyer.
- Prepare students to have an inquiring mind and to see legal issues where many may not see any issue.
- Prepare students into lawyers who are initiators or inventors of ideas.
LLB Program Overview
A university law degree is the most adaptable of academic qualifications. While many law graduates go on to ZIALE and receive a bar exam, equally many use the qualification to become successful in companies, academic research, the media, the civil service, local government, teaching, NGOs and politics. Many world leaders have a background in law – Nelson Mandela and Gandhi to name a few. Also a staggering 25 out of 44 US presidents are/were lawyers.
LLB Program Objectives
At Northrise University Faculty of Law, you will get a unique opportunity to achieve invaluable skills such as:
- logical and clear thinking,
- the art of articulating and expressing complex ideas,
- understanding of the composition and art of argument and negotiation,
- the fair use of evidence and rules,
- and a sound understanding of the rules and legal disciplines that govern society such as constitutional law, administrative law, public international law, human rights law, criminal law, media law and more, as well as the rules that govern our interactions as human beings such as contract law, the law of torts, property law, company and corporate law, intellectual property law and much much more.
Expect an institution that will require a lot of independent work from you. But this is your opportunity to grow, and achieve brilliance, and we are there to support you every step of the way.
This program has no minors.
LLB Program Graduation Requirements
To be eligible for the award of the Bachelor of Laws (LLB) degree, students must satisfy the following requirements:
- Completion of the three (3) Foundation courses as stipulated annually in this handbook or other University documentation:
- Writing Skills
- Computer Literacy
- Completion of the following twenty (22) Law courses:
- Evidence Law
- Property Law
- Contract Law
- Legal Writing Skills
- Commercial Law
- Alternative Dispute Resolutions
- Immigration & Refugee Law)
- Rights Law
- Criminal & Civil Procedure
- Constitutional Law
- Administrative Law
- Intellectual Property Rights Law
- Employment/Labour Law
- Family and Succession Law
- Company and Insolvency Law
- Public International Law
- Information Technology
- Completion of one (1) Law Research Project
- Completion of five (5) Bridging courses
- Complete two (2) Electives courses
- Not less than seventy (70) percent Chapel Attendance
- Attend an Introduction to University Studies Seminar
- Attend an HIV/AIDS Seminar
- Complete a Community Development Seminar
- Complete a Career Development Seminar
- Completion of four (4) Christian Thought and Practice
- Complete four (4) Service Learning participations
Get Started with NU
Your Northrise story begins with a conversation, and we can help with the rest.